Tropical plant belongs to the family Araliaceae, it grows as an evergreen tree or shrub. Under natural conditions can reach 40 meters in height. In nature, found in Africa, South America, Southeast Asia.
Schefflera its name was in honor of the famous German botanist JC Scheffler. The most popular varieties in the culture – Scheffler vosmitochkovaya, tree, luchelistnaya.
Note!highly ornamental culture lies in its beautiful leaves. Unusual shaped leaves – a feature of plants
Sheet plates are divided into several fractions (typically 4 to 14). The colors of the leaves – green monochromatic or motley with white and yellow stains. Specifically, variegated kinds of Scheffler create a colorful atmosphere in the house.
In the tropics, Scheffler blooms numerous inflorescences umbrella of small white flowers. After flowering, bunches of berries appear. Indoor Exotic hardly blooms.
- Scheffler Tree (Schefflera arboricola), the kind that is more common in gardening stores, a variety of different varieties with different leaf shapes and coloring: a dark green, green and white, spotted or curled leaves. The leaves of about 20 cm. The plants form and dimensions, depending on the variety, do not change. At home, the plant usually grows at 1.5 – 2 meters.
- Often grown Scheffler vosmitochkovaya (Schefflera octophylla) with large bright spots on the leaves. The leaves of this species have white tide and more in need of shade than other types of plants.
- Popular remains schefflera actinophylla (Schefflera actinophylla), which has a beautiful golden leaves ebb and pointed shape. Leaves length of 40 cm are arranged on equally long petioles. Suitable for large rooms, since it can reach up to 5 m. In height.
Care Scheffler is quite simple. Providing at home to care for her proper watering and proper lighting, and it will become a decoration of the house.
Location & lighting
Place of cultivation and the level of illumination depends on the grade and type of plant. Illumination Scheffler to room very important condition.
Additional information!located far from the light room flower will develop poorly.
On the windowsill, on the north side will be better to grow varieties with green leaves, and on the east and west sides – variegated. The light should be bright, but diffused without direct sunlight. In the winter need more light, so it is recommended to use additional artificial lighting. Scheffler with motley leaves will need more light than species with green leaves.
During the warm summer months, the flower will themselves enjoy the outdoors in the garden or on the balcony, in a place protected from direct sunlight. This plant harmful drafts.
Depending on the season, different temperature conditions for the cultivation of flower Scheffler. In the spring and summer temperatures for proper growth and development should be – 18-20 degrees. In autumn and winter – 12-16 degrees. Lower temperatures are dangerous for the life of the plant. During the heating season, it is near the heaters should not be, so as not to cause defoliation.
Compliance with proper watering regime – it is important for the successful cultivation of Scheffler. Watering is necessary so that the soil in the pot at all times was a bit damp – about once every two weeks. Drying earthen clod is also undesirable, but the plant will transfer it easier unlike waterlogged. Supersaturated soil moisture can cause blackening and leaf fall. In winter, the plant growth slows down – decreases and watering.
Tropical plant prefers high humidity. Maintain the necessary moisture for the plants you can use the pan with a wet expanded clay or peat. Additional moisture and gives the plant regularly spraying defended with warm water.
Important!In the heat and the dry air, it is desirable to keep under a foliar spray, to ensure a more favorable climate for the plant.
To remove any accumulation of dust on the leaves, flowers need to wash in the shower or wipe the leaves with a damp sponge.
Universal feeding for leafy houseplants are encouraged to make a regular basis, at intervals of two weeks, from early spring to late autumn.
Young plants and plants is not recommended to feed after the transplant.
Transplanting need culture as it grows, it is recommended in the early spring. like most houseplants – every year for the young plants, and less for adults.
It is important to choose the right primer for Scheffler. For the cultivation should be selected light, weakly acidic soil. Suitable purchase or a universal primer for the palm trees. The composition of the most suitable substrate: one part humus and fine river sand and two parts of humus or 3 parts greenhouse soil or compost mixed with 1 part peat and 1.5 part of coarse sand.
New flower pot should be voluminous previous – if properly cared for tree growing rapidly. On the bottom of the pot carefully laid drainage layer of 2-4 cm.
Pruning branches are not carried out, as negatively reacts to this procedure. It affects its decorative qualities. To achieve a lush and thick bushes, it is recommended to plant in the pot several seedlings.
Planting material may be semilignified cuttings, but allowed the reproduction air layering and seeds. Cuttings rooted in water or a mixture of loose soil and sand based turf ground.
Diseases and pests
Sick houseplant Scheffler often at the wrong care. She is very sensitive to the stagnation of water in the soil, and not enough light. Nor like sudden temperature jumps (from minimum to maximum) and the dry air in the room. Root rot appears at a constant excess of water in the soil.
In rare cases, dry air may be affected by scale insects and spider mites. If necessary, the plant is treated with special means.
The difficulty in growing
The main problem faced by the owners – is when Scheffler drops leaves.
- If the leaves are falling, it is likely, it”filled” and she began to rot the roots.
- From the other reason could be the lack of light, especially variegated forms.
- Dropping leaves occurs at an elevated temperature air in the room in the summer and low temperatures in the winter.
- It is also possible to leaf fall in the excessive moisture of the soil. The surface of the wafer sheet becomes faded or light spots covered with incorrect lighting.
- An equally negative effect on the plant and the lack of excess light.
- to dry the tips of the leaves appear brown on the plant with a lack of moisture in the soil and dry air in the room.
- Sometimes, on the back of the leaves are formed”bumps” – a consequence of waterlogged plants. For this reason, brown spots may appear on the leaves, affecting the appearance. Watering should be reduced.
The retirement home is no big deal for Scheffler, but despite this, still need to know all the features of a flower and give it due consideration.