Host refers to the long, winter-hardy plants. There are many varieties with green, yellowish or bluish leaves. Some have decorative variegated or white edges
Hosts create a beautiful green zone. Decorative foliage of the perennial fits in almost any flower garden and landscape group, without oppressing his companions on a bed, and not showing aggressiveness.
Planting and caring hosts
With good care of the garden plants, owners can enjoy for years. What place is suitable hosts? Plants are afraid too hot or too sunny situations. They love to partially shaded and shady spots.
When planting in the ground are making compost, as well as complex fertilizers. If the soil is acidic, it was basified by the introduction of dolomite flour or ash.
Mulching with compost or humus, the soil can also sprinkle cut grass.
Note!Varieties with white-green or bluish-green leaves is easy to “burn” in direct sunlight. The yellow foliage, the more the plant can withstand the sun, but they need plenty of water.
Hosts thanks to its large leaves an excellent job with a shady spot where nothing else grows. Soil should be rich in nutrients that may be loamy and moist. If you have selected the correct soil, plants with rich green is relatively easy to cultivate.
The host needs a sufficient amount of water, but can not tolerate waterlogging.
It is necessary to avoid abundant watering, the soil is not too wet, preferring regular, but limited irrigation.
Host, in most of its varieties of large plant, then to form a beautiful shape of the bush are fed its good organic dressings – humus and compost. Spring culture needs of the fertilizer, preferably in the compost.
Decorative sheet requires a lot of food in a relatively short time. At the same time the plants requires a large amount of water, due to their lush leaves. Because they grow slowly, it may take four to five years to make them look great and majestic.
As is the case with most of the perennials, the second fertilization occurs in the mid to late June.
How to multiply hosts?
Perennial propagated easily by dividing it into parts, and then re-planted. It is better to divide the hosts in the spring or autumn every 3-5 years. The division of the stock is very simple and very productive.
Additional information!For many perennial plants division has a rejuvenating property. It restores the vitality of the plants, and at the same time it multiplies. Stimulates budding – there are many new flowers
How and when to bloom hosts?
Perennial, flowering in spring and in late summer, the most famous oval beautiful colored leaves, but also offers a host of beautiful flowers.
Most serdtselistnyh lilies are white, pale blue or purple bells. Depending on the variety one bloom in June or July, the other – a little later. Even in September-October, some varieties of beautiful surprises, sometimes fragrant flowers. The plant is extremely popular in floral design.
plant inflorescence can and should be cut after withering.
How to spend the winter hosts?
Hosts are absolutely hardy and do not need special protection. Some are autumn’s golden yellow, then wilt the leaves. You can cut them, but this is not mandatory.
Currently there are many species that differ in size, color and variegation:
- A particularly beautiful variety ‘Tom Schmidt. ” It reaches a height of 80 to 90 centimeters, has gray-green leaves with a white border and delicate purple flowers.
- The “Guacamole” white and strong-smelling flowers with golden-yellow leaves with a dark green edge. The plant is very suitable for planting in containers and can also be placed in a sunny location.
- Host Fortune is a compact shrub with pale purple flowers in August.
- plantaginaceae – ribbed large leaves resembling plantain, with large and fragrant flowers that open to the night
- Siebold has powerful (40 cm long and 25 cm wide) leaves cordate-egg shape with a blue-bluish tinge. Flower stalks are low, with white and lilac flowers that appear in July.
- Host belookaymlonnaya was named for the white border on the leaves. It grows well in partial shade, but to preserve the bright contrasting color needs in the morning or evening sunlight. Flowering in July – August, the flowers are painted in lilac color.
- A compact shrub hosts wavy 20-30 cm tall, slender and long leaves with wavy streaks lanceolate. Blossoms in July, high peduncles lavender hue.
They look beautiful with other perennials: emphasizes the beauty of ornamental shrubs and conifers cultures, without it can not do any major mixborders.
The fight against diseases and pests
In the hosts are very few pests, and she also suffers a little. If it landed in heavy clay soils where the roots do not breathe, she could ill botrytis.
The only and biggest drawback hosts that they love snails. Spring plant produces shoots and leaves are still soft, juicy, and snail attack them plenty of snails. Breeders brought varieties less sensitive to snails: “Whirlwind”, “Devon Green» Gay Search, Snowden and Regal Splendor.