Features ling. Planting and care in the open field
Heather grows almost all over Europe and even Siberia. It occurs even where other perennial crops simply do not survive: peat bogs and poor sandy soils of coniferous forests.
Low evergreen shrub, covered with needle-like leaves, usually grows to a height of 20-50 centimeters. heather leaves come in all shades of green, silver, red and brown. A plurality of small flowers in panicles. Their color may be white, magenta, red, etc. Fruits -. Capsules.
How to care for these plants so that they prospered in our climatic conditions
Heather is very hardy and do not require special care, therefore, is also suitable for maintenance-free gardens or obscure places. For growing heather or space solar selected penumbra. In the shadow of these plants die.
For plants are very important composition and permeability of the soil. They choose acidic soil (pH 4.5 to 6).
Note!This kislolyubivoe plant that grows well below pH 5 (certain types and grades 5-6). Due to the pH should not be placed near the heather concrete walls and sidewalks, as the concrete gradually increases the alkalinity of the soil.
Heather need loose soil for healthy growth of the root system, so the heavy clay soils do not fit him. When planting add peat.
Plant with root or a lump in the pot can be planted outdoors at almost any time during the growing season. Heather does not like, if it is transplanted. He needs enough light for abundant flowering. The most suitable near its habitat of rhododendrons, azaleas and conifers.
At planting time dig the planting hole twice as deeper and wider than the root system, lay in her sapling, poured soil, pressed and abundantly watered. As long as the plant does not take root, it watered once a week, presence of moisture is especially important for young plantings. Further, in most cases, water from precipitation will be enough.
Before land heather (they are planted groups) preparing a bed.
- heather planted at intervals of 20-60 cm, depending on the variety, because most species grow up to 60 cm in height and width.
- Before planting should be well think about its location, as Barley hard transfers transplant.
- Does not like to loose soil around the bush, so carefully get rid of weeds, where will be planted heather.
- Place selected to be sufficiently bright, otherwise the plants will bloom with little or no bloom.
- After planting, mulch the soil around the plants shredded bark.
- Regularly watered just planted plants.
- In moderation fertilize special fertilizers that do not contain calcium.
- Heather need few nutrients, we need only the acid reaction of the soil.
Additional informationThe yellowish leaves with green veins – Score is not acidic soil. If you experience these symptoms, you can acidify the substrate.
During the growing season watered properly and fertilize once a month fertilizer intended for kislolyubivyh plants. In the winter months it is also necessary to water (when it is not freezing).
After planting, the plant does not require special care. The exception is the cutting of stalks, and it is important to know how and when to cut heather.
Important!Trim bushes retains a compact form and makes them bloom. Cut the stems just below the level of blooming flowers.
Immediately after cutting fertilize fertilizer for rhododendrons. During the summer fertilize twice.
Ling (Calluna vulgaris) blooms from August to September. This is one of the most beautiful natural phenomena – forms a purple carpet.
Undemanding plant is most easily propagated by cuttings. annual shoots are suitable for reproduction. They must be healthy, strong and without flower buds that are unnecessarily deplete them. cuttings length from 5 to 15 cm.
Heather propagate from cuttings can be spring and fall (the period when the plant is not in bloom). Use a sharp tool to clean the cut. Remove the leaves from the bottom half of the stem and scrape off the bark with a knife at the lower end of the cuttings.
The roots are rooted in two to four weeks. After rooting cuttings can be transplanted to a permanent place in the garden or in a pot.
Heather and his views
The only known species of heather – a heather ordinary (Salluna vulgaris). There are dozens of varieties of different colors, sizes and shapes. Decorative heather varieties can be divided into low-growing, medium-sized and tall plants.
We derive a number of varieties and hybrids of different sizes, color of flowers and leaves stains. For some varieties the flowers are white, pink, purple or crimson. Varieties differ in the form of the crown, coloring leaves, flowers and growing requirements.
- In the early spring flowering heather Erica herbacea – one of the most popular, because it is not concerned about the harsh winters
- Heather Erica cinerea can not tolerate frost and drought and prefers flowering summer.
- Allegro stands of lush foliage. The height of the bushes – 60 cm, flowers carmine-red color, bark – brown
- Carmen a small compact bush is characterized by small leaves and purple buds height of 30 cm..
- Peter Sparks different crown oval and dark green leafy flakes winter in silver color.
- Heather Erica tetralix loves moist peat soils. Depending on the variety has a small bell-shaped or ovoid flowers from white to pink to red rare beams disposed at the ends of branches.
In our conditions, about 15 varieties are adapted.
Diseases and pests
Heather garden pests are not affected, but may occasionally suffer from blight, which can destroy it.
It has anti-inflammatory effects, mainly on the urinary tract. Characterized diuretic. A positive effect on metabolism. Typically, it is administered in the mixtures, e.g., a horsetail, sage and others.
With proper cultivation of heather to grow in the garden for more than 15 years. In winter, it should be protected from frost – it is desirable to mulch bark.