Deutzie belongs to the family hydrangeas and most of its species grow in temperate zones of Asia (Japan and China) and Central America.
The name «Deutzia» – a tribute to Johann van der Deutz. Rich Dutchman funded trip Swedish botanist Thunberg in the 18th century in Japan and Africa, where he found a beautiful shrub with white flowers.
In European latitudes Deutzie known as May or star bush. There are about sixty different species, most of them are deciduous shrubs of medium height.
- The bushes grow in height from 0.5 to 4 meters.
- Slow growth, no more than 30-45 cm per year.
- The lush blooms from May to June.
- The leaves are broad, ovate and serrated on the edge
- Leaf color – rich dark green
- The flowers are white or pink, in the form of stars, clusters form.
- Depending on the species, the flowers do not smell or have a pleasant sweet flavor.
- dry fruit is a capsule containing a plurality of small seeds.
- autumn leaves turn red or yellow, and fall in late autumn.
Depending on the variety, Deutzia reach a height of several meters. Decorative trees usually grow vertically, some types form arcs with overhanging branches with a plurality of small single star-shaped flowers with petals 5. Lanceolate leaves with a finely serrated edge.
Due to the growth, density of leaves and attractive flowers, ornamental shrub fits in a single-use, as well as how to hedge.
Note!Ideal neighboring plants are shrubs and flowers in bright colors that complement the white and pink petals of flower clusters.
If the location is selected correctly and fit the plant conditions, flowering occurs in late spring or in the first weeks of summer. Bushes are blooming abundantly in pink and white colors and are a delight for the soul.
Deutzie is particularly suitable as a small hedge, in addition, it also fits well in rock gardens, combined with other flowering shrubs.
The types and varieties
Distinguish between low, medium and high bushes.
- Deutz elegant (Deutzia Gracilis) – low shrub up to 1.5 meters. White flowers with a diameter of 2 cm.
- Deutz rough or stellate (Deutzia scabra) – shrub about 2 meters. The leaves are rough to the touch. Flowering white or pink flowers.
- Deutz Amur or melkotsvetnaya (Deutzia amurensis) – characterized by a spreading crown. It grows up to 2 meters in height. Flowers are white, odorless, adorn the bush in the middle of summer.
- Deutz hybrid (Deutzia hybrida) – shrub occurred as a result of crossing a graceful and Amur Deutz. Branches arched, narrow leaves, pointed at the top. Blooms pink flowers with a diameter of 1.5 cm at the beginning of July.
- Meutzia Magnifica – high vertical bush. White flowers with a diameter of 2 cm. It flowers in May and June.
Due to the wide variety of every gardener can choose a variety depending on your personal wishes and in accordance with the requirements of your garden.
Deytsela bush: Growing
The plant is not very demanding to care for, and easily adapts to any soil. Especially it likes a sunny, sheltered from strong winds, the place where great blooms.
Additional information!in the shade or partial shade the plant does not thrive, so it should not grow under big trees.
Because of its easy-to-care and hardy properties and characteristics, Deutzie become a very popular ornamental shrubs and is used all over the garden.
Watering and fertilizer
The substrate should not be too wet and not too dry, and contain nutrients, then Deutzia will succeed. Watering should be regularly during the growing season. She needs a lot of water in summer.
- are therefore required high demands on water, regular and abundant watering.
- A layer of mulch retains moisture longer in the ground.
- More water in the dry and hot season.
- Avoid complete drying of the soil.
- Depending on the quality of the soil, fertilize once a month.
- In the good quality of the soil in spring fertilization is sufficient, otherwise fertilize monthly.
Important!The plant does not tolerate long-term drought and requires regular watering. Damage from drought can be seen quickly.
Watering ring around the plants will delay irrigation water, and it will penetrate into the deeper layers. The ring should be large enough to hold from 5 to 10 liters of water.
In the case of infertile soils, it is necessary to make additional fertilizer. If the soil is rich in nutrients, it is sufficient to fertilize the plants in the spring. Preferably, to make compost or other organic fertilizers.
Deutzia shrub grows slowly, and because of the low rate of growth of bushes should be cut only rarely and lightly. If there is enough space, do not need to cut the branch. However, if they are tightly grow, they need to thin out. Rejuvenation is sometimes useful to plants. After a winter cut out old and dead shoots. as close as possible to the ground. The light will be available to all parts of the plant, and will be a place for new shoots. Faded flowers are destroyed.
Propagation and planting
It spreads by cuttings. It’s pretty simple reproduction. Cuttings are cut out of the bush in the summer. Take still not quite stiff stems, cut them from the strong branches about 20 cm in length, remove the lower leaves.
Place the cuttings in the ground and have them in the light, but not in the sun. Regular watering, keep the soil evenly moist, but not wet. A permanent place, young plants are planted in the spring or autumn, but it’s better in the fall. Planting distance is important to ensure that the bushes could develop well.
- Distance landing – half the expected height
- Need a large landing pit.
- Good prepare the soil by adding some organic fertilizers.
- Before planting well-watered rhizome.
- Place the seedlings in the planting hole and covered with soil.
- The generously watered.
- Mulching the soil, so that moisture remains in the soil for longer.
It is best to Deutzia grows as a solitary plant, but the bush shows all its splendor in the hedge with other flowering shrubs.
Perennial plant with respect to cold-resistant and copes well with the local weather conditions. In late fall, it completely loses its leaves and preparing for winter. That is why an ornamental shrub is ideal for home gardening and can spend the winter in a fixed place. To prevent possible damage from freezing, to protect plants from extremely low temperatures and constant snowfall. In extreme cases, higher layer of snow may cause breakage of branches and serious damage to the bush. Winter protection is applied after leaf fall in late autumn.
- to hide behind the bare branches of jute or fleece.
- Place the pine branches around the trunk.
- thick layer of mulch may also be applied around the barrel. A layer of mulch to protect the roots of the bitter cold, and the ground is not frozen.
Note!In case of heavy snow brush off the snow from the branches to snow load without breaking it.
Diseases and pests
Deutzie are extremely stable and not particularly susceptible to disease. With a good location and a suitable substrate, they are rarely susceptible to diseases. Pests are rarely disturbed ornamental shrub, and not interfere with it to develop. Most diseases arise due to errors in care. Careful they can be easily avoided.
Deutz bushes are non-toxic, and therefore can be safely planted in the garden, where children play. Even if they will take part of the plant in the mouth, the harmful effects on health is not.